Back to Basics Cooking

Saturday, May 30, 2009

It has been pretty warm up here in the Pacific Northwest and I am not complaining. I am from Southern California and it is really nice to have the warm weather. I really miss it sometimes. Like, when we have had months of rain with no sun in sight.

When it is warm, I don't like to turn on the oven, and I really don't like standing in the kitchen for an hour or so making dinner, so I am always trying to think of some dishes that are quick and easy, that I don't have to turn the oven or stove on.

Today, I started thinking about when I started cooking. When I was younger, my mom worked two jobs and I was left to make dinner for the family. As a teenager, I didn't want to spend time in the kitchen cooking, so I made really quick easy meals. Why don't I do that know? I think it is because I am an adult with my own family that I feel the need to cook a nice dinner every night.

Well, I don't. Why can't I make meals like I made when I was younger. It is OK, and it is also a wonderful and easy way to get my son involved in helping to cook meals. So, I am going back to basics. I am going to start making those meals that I made when I starting cooking. Now, I won't make these every night, but it will be nice and it might give me inspiration to simplify other meals.

For my meal tonight, I am going to make English Muffin Pizza. I am going to toast the english muffins in the toaster, so I don't have to turn the oven on and then melt the cheese in the microwave. Totally Old School cooking.

Other things I use to make were chicken nuggets, corn dogs, sandwiches and actually one of my favorites, cereal for dinner. When did that become wrong to do? I don't feed it to my family every night.

So, if you have back to basic recipes or ideas, please share them with me. I would love to have more suggestions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment